Monday, April 6, 2015

Really Seeing the Waterfront

Powell, K. (2010). Making Sense of Place: Mapping as a Multisensory Research Method. Qualitative Inquiry, 16(7), 539-555. doi:10.1177/1077800410372600

This article explained the process of mapping very well.  I can see the value of gaining input in this way from many community representatives.  I live in the Waterville area and there is a parking lot downtown where many people who access downtown business park.  There is a very interesting large stainless steel sculpture situated in the middle of the parking lot and the driving lane was designed around it.
If they had gained insight from other community members regarding this design, the sculpture would be more pleasing to the population.  Every time I mention it to anyone who knows about it, they all say something like “yeah… that was a really stupid place to put that”.
Both traffic lanes must “circle” around where it is and it is a plowing nightmare for the work crews.  Nobody driving through that I have been with likes where it is.  They always have negative things to say about it because of where it is, not what it looks like or how they like the sculpture itself.
            If it were situated in the space where there are benches and gardens, I feel it would have garnered a much better public opinion.  I can see where utilizing various opinions in  planning stages in the way that is described in this article could help to better spend public monies for the benefit of all community members.
            The multisensory projects described gave me, the reader, a better understanding of the community used as the subject in a relatively fast time.  I particularly liked the bubble diagram of the waterfront relationships.  I think it gave a well rounded understanding of how everyone in the community utilized this area.

Observations
#1 While waiting for my teen to complete her driver’s license road test, I observed how most of the strangers freely exchanged memories of their testing experiences and their experiences of practice driving with their teens.  There was a noticeable feeling of tension and nervousness of people waiting for testing and those waiting for people being tested.  Those waiting to be tested remained quiet and visibly nervous.  Most people remained sitting while a few others paced and repeatedly looked towards the parking area.


#2 Later that day while waiting at the DMV while my daughter applied for her picture license (Yay!) I observed how solemn everyone waiting seemed.  No one interacted with people outside of the people they were with.  People watched those at the front who were at the widows taking care of their business or towards those posing for I.D. photos.  Some sat quietly reflecting on paperwork they held while others chatted or were looking at cell phones.  There were people of all ages; I noticed two sets of older adults with their adult children and observed a man and his father with a cane negotiate the paperwork process, then the photo process for a renewed driver’s license.  The older gentleman had assistance from his son to rise from the chair with his cane.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting observations and congrats to your daughter! It seems that there was a common theme between those waiting for their children and almost as if that made it easier to talk to strangers. Like it created some form of empathy that brought you all closer. I always have hated the DMV. It may be a result of watching Beatlejuice too many times as a kid. It always felt morbid to me. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. In retrospect, I think that seating may have played a factor in people interacting. At the license testing site, there was a smaller group of people and chairs were situated so that people could face one another. At the DMV, chairs were all facing forward, looking at windows. At the drivers' resting place, you are certainly right! Ther was a common theme; ANXIETY!!! hahaha!!

    ReplyDelete